Monday, February 23, 2015

The PLKN Experience (Oh Malaysia Ku) : Tips, Tricks and Treats


And he came home from PLKN after 2 months or so away.

He missed our Hanoi trip (which was sort of planned as a break for all of us after the long year of tuition and extra classes. And strictly no holidays).

Apparently this year, the kids at the camp are not entitled for any leave. Except for those celebrating Christmas last year. Yang sakit. Kematian. Immediate family wedding. Itu saja. I called all the PLKN numbers I could get my hands on to ask how to make a leave application. Everybody told me no can do. But we already have tickets said I. Oversea ke dalam negeri? Oversea. Lagi la tak boleh was the response I got. Something to do with insurance or something. At least that was what I gathered through the numerous calls.

Hubs went to their office in person for clarifications. The officer said, memang takde peruntukan untuk cuti. Macam ni la bang. Kalau nak jugak cuti abang pergi je bawak anak abang balik. Then later he will be called for session 2 or 3. Like a redo. Then abang minta tunda lagi atas apa2 sebab lain. Kemudian universiti pun dah start and he might not need to attend the program at all. We : Oh macam tu pulak.

Kata Efan, nak buat apa nak repeat balik. Or go through the suspense of being called again or not. I have to make new friends again and redo the first 5 weeks I was here. And then maturely said, I will stay here. I have made new friends and am looking forward for the activities.

And so that was that.

Nevertheless. I was pleased when he said we can fetch him home.

 I was actually happy to see he had made lots of friends at the camp.

Anyway. It was a big surprise when it was announced there will be no PLKN Session 2 or 3 this year. Kerajaan takada duit untuk program ni. Duit yang diperuntukkan akan disalurkan kepada mangsa banjir di Pantai Timur.

Saya (whilst in my most intolerable moments):
1. Seriously?!
2. It seems quite obvious that the program is not rated high on anybody's list. Them and the participants (I mean ada ke pelajar yang terlompat2 excited bila nama tersenarai terpilih dalam website PLKN?)
3.  Boleh tak serious nak buat satu2 program tu? Selalu batuk2 je (di tepi tangga atau di mana2 pun!)
4. Bagi la reason yang mantap sikit kalau nak cancel pun. Please la.
5. We should have abandoned the program much earlier

Kata Efan selepas announcement tu, cikgu2 di camp pun dah tak semangat nak mengajar. I suppose nobody can blame them. Mereka berkira2 ke mana pula nak bekerja selepas PLKN tamat.

Namun. There's always a silver lining.
At the end of the day, Efan gave a thumbs up for his time spent at the camp. And in fact, that is all that matters I think. He said kita mesti la participate dalam semua aktiviti, baru le rasa best. Kalau duduk di sideline je memang la boring (I was pleased with his comment). I think the kids must have had a good experience - some of the boys even shed some (manly) tears when leaving the camp.

Your best moment at the camp? I asked.
The M16 rendezvous.
 
(The boys did a couple rounds of the M16 shots at a nearby army camp.)

The worst?
The first couple of days at the camp when you dont know anyone yet.

Regrets?
None. Only good memories.

I couldnt ask for more.

ps - He lost 8 kg while away at camp. I should volunteer myself for the camp (twice! or more) to lose some myself. Oh, and for building the jati diri, of course.




~ xoxo


1 comment:

  1. i like the the answer for the last question. so positive minded he is :-)

    ReplyDelete