Thursday, February 06, 2014

The Tiny Little Darling


So it is official. You may call me Nenna.

 

He is Umar al Haziq. I dont think he looks like himself yet (from the trauma of entering into this world). He's not due yet for another few days sebenarnye (nak tulis introduction pun tak sempat lagi).

I wanted to be called tok (kalau ikut tradition orang utara, tok perempuan akan dipanggil Tok. Tok lelaki dipanggil Tok Wan). Hubs, orang Perak, juga mahu dipanggil Tok (ikut tradisi Perak, dari KKangsar sampai ke Tapah dan mungkin ke selatan sikit lagi, tok perempuan dipanggil Opah dan tok lelaki dipanggil Tok). I suggested, we call me Tok and call you Tok Mi. He said, if there is going to be any Tok around here it will be me. So I said, fine (arms akimbo).

After long, long thinking I declared, the little one will call me Nenna. Then everybody said, Nenna? Why Nenna? I said because I like it, that is why (with a defiant toss of my head).

Saya tak gemar opah. Itu bukan tradition orang utara. Atau Tok Ma - sounds more like Kelantan to me. Or Wan (is that Trengganu?) Nenek is more southern. So in the end I have granny, nanna etc etc. Mana tradisinye? you might ask. Well, there is none that I can take anyway, so I am making a new one. My sister is nenda to her cucu (I said to my niece, that sounds so pretensious! She had laughed and said, of course nenna does not lah kan.. lalu kami gelak mengilai, haha)

I checked what grandmother is in other languages, and I like - Nonna (Italian), Grandmere (French) and Lola (Filipino). But I still like Nenna best (or I can spell it with my initials : nay-na).

I asked the boys what will Umar call you. They unanimously said uncle. I said I like PakLang, PakNgah etc. Sedap bunyinye. They said there will be no answer from them to those titles. Hmmph.

Tolong doakan yang terbaik untuk orang baru kami ini.



~ xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment